The Ultimate: Sugar Free BBQ Sauce Recipe
Getting high-quality sugar free & keto barbecue sauce from your local supermarket is not an easy task. That’s because many of them are high in sugars and carbs which is good for business but bad for your health. The good news is you can make it yourself from the comfort of your home within a very short time.
This low-carb BBQ sauce can be used as a marinade, condiment, basting, and topping for meat being cooked in barbecue style. It produces a smoky, sweet, tangy, and spicy taste and only takes five minutes of prep time.
The Ultimate: Sugar Free BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Measuring Jug or Cups
- Medium sized saucepan
- Wooden or heat resistant stirrer
- 250 ml tomato paste
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Sunkrin Gold or a similar granulated sweetener
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ cups of water
- A pinch of ground cloves (optional)
- A pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Whisk all ingredients vigorously to ensure they are thoroughly combined and then add water. Spices such as garlic powder and chili add a lot of flavor and depth to recipes so do not be afraid of them.
- Gently boil the ingredients at medium-high heat then reduce it to medium-low. Stir frequently as the sauce simmers for 20 minutes or until it slightly thickens.
- Taste and adjust the cayenne pepper or sweetener if you like a sauce that is spicier or sweeter. If the result is thicker than it is intended to be, stir in additional water one tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
As previously mentioned, regular BBQ sauce has a lot of sugar in it therefore to make a keto-friendly type you need excellent sugar-free and low-carb ingredients.
- Tomato paste – This is a concentrated type of passata or tomato sauce that is much thicker and its flavor is more intense.
- Liquid smoke – This is used as a secret ingredient to give the sauce a smokey barbecue flavor. It’s known to be flavorless on its own however it intensifies when mixed with all other ingredients.
- Apple cider vinegar – This adds the subtle apple taste to the barbecue flavor. It can be substituted with regular white vinegar.
- Keto brown sugar – The distinct flavor of this ingredient is synonymous with a good barbecue sauce – You can also use erythritols such as Sunkrin Gold or monk fruit.
- Salt – Add some to taste
- Onion and garlic powder – To add extra flavor
- Water – To thin out all ingredients
- Smoked paprika – Unlike popular beliefs smoked paprika is not spicy however it intensifies the flavors in the sauce.
Where else can you use BBQ sauce?
This amazing sugar free & keto barbecue sauce is made not only for slathering your grilled spare ribs but also for many other keto recipes. Such include Low carb BBQ chicken pizza where you use barbecue sauce instead of tomato sauce on your pizza then add cooked chicken cubes, scallions, and cheddar cheese.
BBQ sauce can also be used to make barbecue-style oven-baked chicken thighs or you can dip some tasty keto chicken nuggets in this sauce for that delicious and homely treat for you and your loved ones. It can as well be tossed over shredded chicken and served with baked radishes, grilled cabbage sticks, or mashed cauliflower.
How to store BBQ sauce
Other than knowing how to make this exceptional low-carb and sugar-free barbecue sauce, it is also important that you know how to store it in your fridge. Barbecue sauce can remain fresh for up to two weeks however when refrigerated in a sealed container or jar, it can stay for up to two months.
Always reach out for this sugar free & keto BBQ sauce to liven up your shredded pork, chicken wings, french fries, and other recipes. You won’t find any fats (omega-3, saturated or unsaturated) in this barbecue sauce as all its ingredients are plant-based and therefore don’t contain fat. It is also fit for consumption for all vegans since the ingredients are plant-based.
Buying it Pre-Made
There will never be any judgement over buying store-bought BBQ sauce. There isn’t always time to make your own and sometimes you just can’t be bothered and we hear you. So if you’re wanting all the tastiness of sugar free BBQ sauce without needing to be near your stove, check out these ready made options: