The Ultimate: Sugar Free Berry Sauce Recipe
As more and more people become aware of the amount of sugar in packaged juices and sodas, as well as most sauces or toppings sold in stores, there’s been a sharp increase in how many choose to make their own homemade syrups or sauces. Although not all homemade sauces and syrups are made equal, with recipes often including a sugar overload as part of the ingredient list.
If you have chosen to remove sugar from your diet for one reason or another, and have been scrolling through Google to find the perfect recipe that is suitable for you, then you have arrived in the right place! In this article, we will show you how you can make a sugar free berry sauce / syrup, which is 100% compatible with keto diet.
This sauce can be prepared not only from fresh but also from frozen fruits. What fruits should you use? The choice is yours, with all kinds of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries – this is just one of the flavor combinations. In this recipe, we will be using blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. Optionally, you can add a handful of fresh fruit to the finished strained sauce before serving.
This berry sauce is really quick and very easy to make.
The Ultimate: Sugar Free Berry Sauce Recipe
- Medium saucepan
- Heat Proof Stirrer
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Wooden spoon or a potato masher
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Almond extract
- Monk Fruit Sweetener or 1 packet stevia
- Put all the berries you want to use (as we have already mentioned, in this recipe we will be using blueberries, blackberries & raspberries) in a medium saucepan.
- Pour the lemon juice on top of them.
- Add the water, the Monk Fruit Sweetener or the stevia and the almond extract and wait for the mixture to boil. Stir occasionally before it boils.
- Let it boil for 5 minutes and remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Mash the mixture with a wooden spoon or with a potato masher.
- Put the saucepan on the heat again and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes. The mixture will thicken as it cools!
- If you want the sauce thicker you can add one tablespoon xanthan gum or one tablespoon corn-starch.
- Calories: 13
- Calories, originated from Fat: 0g
- Fat: 0g
- Total carbs: 3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 0.5g
- Protein: 0 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Lemon Juice
- Almond Extract
- Monk Fruit Sweetener or 1 packet stevia (optional)
Tips & Notes:
You can store your keto berry sauce in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
If you do not have fresh berries you can use frozen ones instead. The only difference in using frozen berries is that the cooking time may increase slightly if the berries haven’t defrosted.
Actually, some people prefer frozen berries, because they are considered healthier than the fresh ones. This is because they are flash frozen straight from the field and do not have all the extra added chemical preservative sprays to keep them looking fresh.
You can also freeze the sugar free berry sauce. Let it cool completely before putting it in the freezer. If you do that, the keto berry syrup will be fine for up to 4 months!
Is this recipe healthy or beneficial?
Excluding sugar from the recipe is not the only healthy thing here! Blueberries are considered by many as a ‘superfood’ due to all of their health benefits. They are full of antioxidants and vitamins. They might:
1. Improve your vision
The high content of vitamin A is one of the many health qualities that blueberries have. It is especially good for your eyesight.
2. Help digestion
Blueberries are rich in fiber, which is necessary for proper digestion.
3. Help you achieve cleaner skin
The antioxidants in blueberries come to the rescue. They neutralize free radicals and prevent cell damage. This means that your skin will look younger and healthier.
4. Boost your immune system
Blueberries also contain high levels of vitamin C, which has a number of benefits, including keeping your immune system healthy. In fact, one serving of blueberries contains approximately 25% of the daily requirement of vitamin C.
Where can you use the sugar free berry sauce / syrup?
There are multiple ways you can put your sauce to use. If you are wondering what are the best ideas you can try some of the following:
- Add a bit of the keto syrup to your favorite yogurt
- You can pour some of the sauce over keto gluten-free pancakes
- You can use the berry syrup as a topping on a keto ice cream
- You can use it while cooking a delicious keto cheesecake
Berry sauce is used not only for desserts but also for many meat dishes, such as:
- Pan-seared duck breast with berry sauce
- Grilled chicken
- Grilled salmon steaks
- Roasted pork
Buying it Pre-Made
Don’t have the ingredients handy or looking to have sugar-free berry sauce delivered straight to your door (which sounds pretty good by the way!) – here are our favorite ready made options.
Who doesn’t love sugar-free berry sauce at the click of a button?