The Ultimate: Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce Recipe
Cranberry sauce and turkey go hand in hand! Most famous for the role it plays at Thanksgiving, there are actually a ton of ways you can enjoy cranberry sauce from sandwiches to pancakes.
But the question is, “Can the delicious cranberry sauce we all love be made without sugar?” The good news is that the answer is yes and you’ve come to the right place!
This sweet and sour cranberry sauce recipe only needs 4 ingredients and the entire cooking process takes no more than 10 minutes. Quick, easy and a delicious end product that is sugar free – yes please!
It is made from fresh cranberries; no sugar involved and is low carb, gluten-free and keto. Continue reading to learn how to make the perfect accompaniment for so many meals.
How can we make a sugar free cranberry sauce?
The good thing is that cranberries are sweet by themselves. In addition, you can replace the sugar in almost every recipe with the sweetener of your choice and adjust the amount to your taste.
The Ultimate: Sugar Free Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- Measuring Jug or Cups
- Medium sized saucepan
- Wooden or heat resistant stirrer
- 8 ounces Fresh Cranberries recommended (you can use frozen as well if you don’t have fresh ones)
- 1 cup sweetener
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest (fully optional)
- ¾ cup water
- Mix the cranberries, the sweetener, the water and the orange zest in a pan.
- Put the pan on the stove and cook until it boils.
- When it boils, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes, until the liquid acquires sauce form.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Stir for a while and let it cool.
- Calories: 6
- Fats: 0g
- Saturated fats: 0g
- Protein: 0.100g
- Total carbs: 1.4g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 6mg
- Sugar: 0.2 g
- Fresh Cranberries OR Frozen Cranberries OR Tinned Cranberries (make sure they don’t have any syrup or added sugar for preservation)
- Vanilla extract
- Orange Zest (optional)
- Sweetener of your choices, we love:
- Swerve Granular Sweetener: The Ultimate Sugar Replacement. Measures Cup For Cup Same As Sugar: All Natural: Gluten Free
- Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener – 1:1 White Sugar Substitute, Zero Calorie, Keto Diet Friendly, Zero Net Carbs, Zero Glycemic
- Whole Earth Sweetener Co. Zero Calorie PlantBased Sugar Alternative, 100% Erythritol
Benefits of keto cranberry sauce
Cranberries are considered by many people as a superior food due to their antioxidant features.
- They are rich in fiber and can help you get in shape
One cup of fresh cranberries contains 16% of the recommended daily amount of fiber, which is about 4 g.
- Cranberries could balance your blood sugar levels.
Cranberries themselves are one of the fruits with the lowest sugar content – one cup of cranberries contains only 4g sugars. A bonus fact is that cranberries contain the mineral manganese, which can sometimes help to control blood sugar levels.
- They contain different vitamins that might help with colds.
If you are tired of oranges and lemons during the winter season to keep your immune system strong, you can replace them with cranberries. They are also very rich in vitamin C – a glass contains about 19% of the daily-recommended intake.
- Cranberries can help you with cleaner skin.
Cranberries have been shown to have antiseptic properties that could help with breakouts or even with brightening and softening your skin. We’d recommend looking up a specific natural recipe if you want to turn your cranberries into beauty products.
- This keto cranberry sauce does not contain any sugar.
Unlike the normal cranberry sauce, the keto cranberry sauce does not have sugar in it, which makes it a lot healthier. The generic cranberry sauce contains 40g sugar for every 100g sauce which is approximately 10x what this recipe contains.
What can you do with your sugar free cranberry sauce?
The best thing about this keto cranberry sauce is that it is delicious and can be used in a whole range of other dishes:
- Roasted brie with cranberry sauce on fresh bread
- Keto gluten-free pancakes with cranberry sauce
- Shrimp with cranberry dipping sauce
- Add it to a smoothie with banana, milk & a honey replacement
- Mix it with your oatmeal for breakfast
Fortunately, cranberry sauce is one of those dishes that tastes better the next day or even a few days after cooking. The sauce will turn into a gel as it cools and becomes sweeter.
Buying it Pre-Made
While we are never ones to judge if you choose to buy store-bought sauce because we know that life happens & you don’t always have the time to whip up your own sugar free cranberry sauce. But it’s much harder to find! That’s because the sugar helps to preserve the fruit for longer. So we’ve found sugar-free or no fructose options for you to choose from: